Brew your own beer.
Work up a hard-earned thirst brewin’ some beer with Aussie Brewery Tours! Choose from over 20 different styles of beer and, under instruction from a head brewer, brew your beer on state-of-the-art small-batch brewing equipment at the Public Brewery. Including transport, snack food, main meal lunch, complimentary beers and 50ltr kettles of beer (around 5 slabs) bottled for you - with your own custom labels - and picked up from our Moonee Ponds depot (or delivered to your door). After your brew session and lunch it's time to visit a couple more of Melbourne best craft breweries to sample what your fellow brewing pros are serving up!
Whats included and how much does it cost?
Your brew day is all inclusive. Bookings can be for groups between 2-6 people with a tour size of 13pax.:
- Your brew: Brew 50ltrs of beer (per group booking - not per individual within your group) on your personal, state of the art, professional brew kit under instruction from professional brewers at the Public Brewery – choose from a number of different Pale Ales, Amber Ales, Brown Ales & Stouts. Each kettle makes 5 slabs of 330ml bottles.
- Bottling: We will bottle and label the beer - using your own beer labels - so you don't have to. Pick the beer up from our depot in Moonee Ponds (5 weeks between brewing and collection) or organise to have it delivered (see delivery fees below).
- Fantastic Food: Brewing is hard work (well, sort off) so we will supply tasting plates of nibblies on arrival plus a delicious main meal from the brewery kitchen (see below for an example menu).
- Keep hydrated: Brewing is thirsty work (truth) so we you will receive 3 complimentary tap or bottled beers to keep you hydrated whilst you brew.
- Transport: We will provide the transport and a knowledgeable guide.
- Extra stops: After the brew day, we will head off to visit 2 of our favourite Urban breweries to sample some of the beers your fellow pros are brewing (breweries could include Moon Dog, Stomping Ground, The Mill, Mountain Goat, Temple Brewery, Crafty Squire, Clifton Hill Brewpub, Two Birds). Complimentary beer included at each stop.
- Small Group Touring: Enjoy small group (min 8, max 13 people) flexible touring in our customized, air-conditioned mini-buses. Note: We can accommodate up to 50 people on our private tours. To be fair to other passengers, we ask groups of 7+ to book a private tour as to not unfairly unbalance the group.
2 people (50ltrs)= $335pp; 3 people (50ltrs) = $300pp; 4 people (50ltrs) = $285pp; 5 people (50ltrs) = $265pp; 6 people (50ltrs) = $255pp. Extras: Add $50 per booking (not per person) to brew an IPA (Pale Ales, Amber Ales, Brown Ales & Stouts included in price).
Click here for a list of beer styles
- Classic Australian Pale Ale: Australian style pale ale with a solid malt backbone and firm bitterness. This recipe uses Pride of Ringwood hops, a mainstay of Australian brewing to create a refreshing and clean pale ale with a firm bitterness that keeps you coming back for more.
- Classic U.S Pale Ale: American style pale ale with a solid malt backbone and fresh citrus and fruity hops. This recipe uses a classic American pairing of Cascade and Amarillo to create a refreshing and hoppy pale ale with a firm bitterness.
- Summer Pale Ale: Australian style pale ale using a unique Australian hop – Summer. Summer has hints of apricot and melon, resulting in an easy going and smooth pale ale with a great flavour.
- Falcons Pale Ale: American style pale ale using Falconers Flight hop blend – a greatest hits package of US craft brewing hops. Big hits of citrus, pine and tropical fruit make for a refreshing American style Pale Ale.
- Topaz Pale Ale: Australian style pale ale using a unique Australian hop – Topaz. Topaz has hints of grapefruit, stonefruit and lychee, resulting in an easy going and smooth pale ale with a great flavour. New U.S Pale Ale: American style pale ale focusing on one of the newer American hop varieties – Citra. The use of Citra hops brings a zesty lemon and citrus flavour to this beer, resulting a zippy and refreshing pale ale that is great for summer!!
- English Summer Ale: A light and refreshing English ale with soft malt characters and subtle spicy and floral hop notes. Not as heavily flavoured as some of our other pale ales, this highly sessionable beer is great to drink on a lovely sunny day.
- English Bitter: A classic English style bitter – a little darker than the pale ales and more malt focused with hints of caramel and toffee. This beer has a firm bitterness that provides a nice balance making it easy to drink.
- American Amber Ale: This is a pleasant amber coloured American style beer. It is more malt focused than its paler cousins, but still shows those classic American fruity hop notes that pale ale drinkers love.
- All American Amber: This is a pleasant amber coloured American style beer. It is more malt focused than its paler cousins, but still shows those classic American fruity hop notes thanks to the Falconers Flight hop blend, a showcase of 7 different American craft beer hops.
- Irish Red: A rich red ale with sweet caramel and toffee flavours and enough bitterness and subtle roast notes to balance the beer nicely, making it very drinkable. A great session beer with a strong malt focus.
- American Red: This is a beer for those who like their beers malty and hoppy – a perfect marriage. Drier than an amber ale with nice caramel flavours and a firm hop bitterness.
- All American Red Ale: This is a beer for those who like their beers malty and hoppy – a perfect marriage. Drier than an amber ale with nice caramel flavours and a firm hop bitterness thanks to the Falconers Flight hop blend, a showcase of 7 different American craft beer hops.
- Northern Brown Ale: A rich, nutty English style brown ale, typically found in the northern part of England. Chocolate and nutty flavours are evident, with spicy floral hop notes to balance. A sessionable, easy drinking dark beer that will keep you coming back for more.
- American Brown Ale: A hoppier brown ale with big doses of chocolate and caramel flavours. This beer is bigger than its English cousin, with a firmer and drier finish. Delicious.
- All American Brown Ale: A hoppier brown ale with big doses of chocolate and caramel flavours. This beer is bigger than its English cousin, with a firmer and drier finish. This version uses the Falconers Flight hop blend, a showcase of 7 different American craft beer hops.
- American Stout: Black as the Ace of Spades with strong coffee and chocolate malt flavours, combined with a nice dry finish. This is a hoppier and bigger version of a traditional style stout.
- Irish Stout: This beer is a traditional dry Irish stout, a malt focused beer with big coffee notes and a firm bitterness. This is a great beer for those who like to walk on the dark side.
India Pale Ales (IPA)
- Australian IPA: A blend of three uniquely Australian hops that provide plenty of hop character with dashes of tropical fruit, stonefruit, grapefruit and spiceness with an assertive bitterness that dries the beer out nicely.
- English IPA: An old world IPA with a bigger malt focus than its new world cousins. This beer has a more rounded character with hints of caramel and a pleasing bitterness that is sure to please.
- American IPA: A classic American style IPA with loads of the classic US hop characters we all love – piney, citrus fruit and floral hop notes abound with a firm and cleansing bitterness.
Click here for Australia wide delivery prices
If you wish to have your beer delivered somewhere outside this list, please contact us and we can give you a quote. Your delivery option can be choosen when booking, or organised and paid for on the brew day. If you don't want delivery, you can grab your beer from our Richmond depot.
- Melbourne Metro - $40
- Most of rest of Vic - $70
- Adelaide Area- $60
- Sydney Area - $75
- Brisbane Area - $80
- Cairnes - $140
- Perth Area - $120
- Darwin - $195
Days, Times and Pick-up Locations
Runs: Last Sunday of every month. Pick-up: 9:50am – 10:40am. Drop-off: 6 - 7pm.
Departs from: Federation Square, St Kilda and central hotel pick-ups available. Note: Please contact us before you book to ask about alternate pick-ups.
Drop-off: We will endeavour too, but cannot always guarantee hotel drop-offs. All of our tours instead terminate in central Melbourne at Federation Square. Please contact us if required to discuss.
Click here for a full list of pick-up locations
Standard Pick-up Locations
- 9:50am: Habitat HQ, 333 St Kilda Road, St Kilda VIC 3182
- 10:40am: Federation Square: Russell court (bus pick-up/day tours area corner of Russell & Flinders streets): Google map - https://goo.gl/maps/FLx4xXe8cKP2
Docklands: 10:15am - 10:35:am
- Hilton Melbourne South Wharf, 2 Convention Centre Pl, Melbourne VIC 3006
- Sebel Melbourne Docklands, Aquitania Way, Docklands VIC 3008
Southbank: 10:15am - 10:35am
- Crown Metropol, 8 Whiteman Street, Southbank VIC 3006
Melbourne CBD: 10:20am - 10:35am
- Hotel Grand Chancellor, 131 Lonsdale Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Grand Hyatt Melbourne, 123 Collins St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- ibis Styles Kingsgate Hotel, 131 King Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
- InterContinental Melbourne The Rialto, 495 Collins St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Marriott Hotel (Melbourne), Lonsdale Street & Exhibition St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Mercure Melbourne Treasury Gardens, 13 Spring Street Melbourne VIC 3000
- Oaks on Lonsdale, 23-33 Lonsdale St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Oaks on Market, 60 Market St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Radisson on Flagstaff Gardens Melbourne, 380 William St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Rendezvous Hotel Melbourne, 328 Flinders St, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Rydges Melbourne Hotel, 186 Exhibition Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Sheraton Melbourne Hotel, 27 Little Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Sofitel Melbourne on Collins, 25 Collins Street, Melbourne VIC 3000
- Stamford Plaza Melbourne, 111 Little Collins St, Melbourne VIC 3000
You can also request a hotel pick-up. Please contact us before you book to request a hotel pick-up as we cannot guarantee all hotel pick-up and drop-offs.
Here are the other bits and bobs:
- How long does it take? The brew day, including 2 extra brewery stops and travel time to and from the CBD take around 7-8 hours.
- When is my beer ready? Your beer will finish fermenting and be bottled available for collection 5-6 weeks after it is brewed. We will contact you to arrange pick-up from Richmond (free) or delivery (we are currently working on this - please don't hesitate to ask).
- Can we customise the labels? Yes you can - we will send you the label template.
- Do I need to bottle my beer? No, this is all done for you.
- Is this full grain brewing? Yes (and no). To save on time - and effort - the brewers will have everything cleaned and going when you arrive. This includes a base wort, on to which you will craft your beer. They do this to cut a 6-7 hour day into 4. It also removes the less glamorous and boring parts of the process.
- What styles can I make? There are over 20 unique beers to choose from. See above for more detailed descriptions.